The Corsair82: 82% F4U-1A Corsair

Here you can see the process of producing the molds for the canopy.
canopy01.jpg
Hand made foam plug already covered with fiberglass.
canopy02.jpg
Side view.
canopy03.jpg
Trimmed and surfaced with Dynalite body filler.
canopy04.jpg
First attempt at a windscreen. I attempted to use Molt Taylors technique of heavy paper with epoxy. The paper is too stiff to bend without wrinkles.
canopy05.jpg
Primed and wet sanded.
canopy06.jpg
This time I used a thin aluminum sheet for the wind screen. It required a lot of support from behind, but worked well.
canopy07.jpg
I decided to add some extra to the back in order to allow a smooth transition for the plexiglass.
canopy08.jpg
Finished plug. Primed, wet sanded, and waxed. The canopy seen installed on the aircraft (fuselage page) was the first attempt). It still needs work. I may make a female mold and try vacuum or blowing it.


Return to Building the Corsair82
Return to The Corsair82 Page